Bodybuilding diets of three top bodybuilders shared their nutrition and diet with Vince: Jay Cutler (3 times Mr. Olympia winner), Branch Warren (came 2nd in the 2009 Mr. Olympia) and Victor Martinez (winner of the Arnold Classic in 2007). All these guys are at the top of their game at the moment, and all huge.
Bodybuilding Diets For Cutting
Following are examples of a daily diet 10 weeks from the competition. Because of this when they are aiming to maintain muscle, build new muscle and strip off as much fat as possible. However, it is important to note that this is their diets during the pre-comp cutting period. So their goal is to maintain muscle and strip fat away. However, if you are overweight and want to build some muscle, then this is still a good diet plan to follow. As such you won’t need anywhere as much energy as these guys need every day, so reduce the portions down.
Jay Cutler’s Bodybuilding Diets
Jay Cutler starts his day with some fat burning pills followed by 40 minutes of cardio training before eating breakfast.
- Breakfast: 15 egg whites, a 170g steak, 1/2 an avocado, 4 packs of grits, 2 liters water.
- Meal 2: 400g chicken breast with 340g sweet potato.
- Meal 3: A 340g steak with 340g red potato
- After these 3 meals, he does his weight training workout for the day. One big session working on a specific muscle group.
- Meal 4: Whey protein – this comes straight after the workout
- Meal 5: 400g chicken with white rice
- Meal 6: 15 egg whites, a 170g steak, 1/2 an avocado
So, to sum up, 30 egg whites in one day, 800g – 850g of chicken, 500g steak, a bucket of potatoes!
Victor Martinez Bodybuilding Diets
Victor’s daily diet is a little more regimental than Cutlers’ (not to say that Cutlers’ is not very strict too). Therefore timing between each “meal” is carefully planned.
- 9:30 a.m. Whey protein and water
- 9:45 a.m. Cardio: 45 minutes
- 10:45 a.m. 10 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1 cup of oatmeal
- 1:30 p.m. 280g steak, 1 cup of brown rice
- 4 p.m. 280g chicken, 280g potato
- 5:30 p.m. Pre-workout drink, BCAA
- A big weight training session.
- 8 p.m. 280g salmon, 1 cup of steamed broccoli
- 1 a.m. 230g steak, 1 cup of steamed broccoli
Martinez’s diet is healthier than Cutlers’. He eats brown rice instead of white, and has a salmon dish, replacing one of the chicken meals. Also, he consumes a lot of broccoli and potatoes. However, he does treat himself to an egg yolk.
Branch Warren’s Muscle Building Diets
Warren likes to start the day with coffee and walks the dogs. Therefore, it seems to be a much more chilled way to start the day than fat burners and cardio.
- Morning: coffee, walk the dogs for 20-30 minute
- Meal 1: 280g buffalo, 2 whole eggs, 2 slices whole wheat toast, a cup of oatmeal
- Meal 2: 280g chicken breast, 2 and 1/2 cups white rice
- Weight training session
- Meal 3: Whey protein and Gatorade straight after the training
- Meal 4: 280g chicken breast, 340g white potato
- Meal 5: 280g chicken breast, 280g-340g white potato,280g-340g sweet potato
- Meal 6: 170g steak, 170g tilapia (fish)
Branch Warren eats less steak but more chicken. Lots of potatoes again, plus some fish to end the day. His diet seems the most “normal” of the lot, with coffee, eggs, and toast for breakfast and chicken and potatoes for his meals.
Summary of the 3 Bodybuilding Diets
The most important things to note with these diets is that although they all take a whey supplement during the day. However, just one supplement is taken after weight training. In addition, Whey is the most rapidly absorbed protein. So is the best if you take it straight after a workout. Casein/egg proteins are more slowly absorbed, and these are all obtained from the diet – eggs, meats, poultry.
However, they keep fruit to a minimum because of its sugar (fructose) content. However, they eat potatoes in abundance – they are a great source of carbohydrate and energy. Provided you do not fry them.
Certainly, none of these bodybuilders are eating cottage cheese, drinking milk or having a protein shake every 3 hours. In other words, this is just not required. Food is the best source of protein and carbohydrate and these guys know it. If protein shakes really were the best way to pile on muscle they would be drinking 560g a day. Piles of chicken, eggs, meat with vegetables and rice are preferred eating.